Python compilers?

Ville Vainio ville at spammers.com
Sat May 22 07:13:15 EDT 2004

    >> There is also GCJ as part of the GCC, which can compile both .class
    >> and .java files. Its libraries aren't complete yet, but I'm sure it's
    >> only a matter of time.

    Andrew> Hmmm...  anyone tried GCJ on Jython?

Native code will not help much if the created native code is of type:

arg=lookup(object1, "fooarg")
f = lookup(object2,"foomethod")
call(f,arg)

For the performance that is expected of native code we need direct
dispatching with the addresses of the functions known at the compile
time, or via direct indexing of linear virtual tables.

(I'm speaking of static compilation here - what I said may not apply
to psyco)

--
Ville Vainio   http://tinyurl.com/2prnb