pychecker proposal

Nick Jacobson nicksjacobson at yahoo.com
Mon May 3 13:58:45 EDT 2004

I think that PyChecker should be part of the "batteries included"
library that comes with Python.  It can be a very useful tool for
catching errors and bad style.

If it were in the standard library, newbies would be aware of it
sooner.  It could catch some of their mistakes, making for a smoother
learning curve.  e.g. when I started learning Python, I named a
variable str, which caused an exception when I called str() in an
unrelated part of the code.  This led to some confusion...PyChecker
would have flagged it as shadowing a built-in function.

What do you guys think?