rectangle layout algorithm?

Richard Taylor rjt-usenet at thegrindstone.me.uk
Thu May 6 12:18:26 EDT 2004

Terry Reedy wrote:

> Among other things, the algorithm you want depends on the following:
> Are the rectangles all the same size or different sizes?

They are photographs, so they are generally all the same size.

> Do you want to pack as tightly as possible or spread out over a
> background?

I want to fit as many on a specified sheet of paper as possible. I would
like to be able to specify the paper size at run time e.g. A4, A3 etc.

> Are the images ordered or may they be placed randomly?

They can be placed randomly. They can also be rotated in order cover more of
the page as they will be cut into separate pictures once printed.

> What is your criterion for a good versus poor layout?

Maximum use of paper is the criteria. Photo paper is expensive :-)

Regards

Richard