calling functions at the same time

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Tue May 4 12:26:38 EDT 2004

Tim Sharpe wrote:

> Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote >
>
>>The last sentence is really the whole point.  The OP needs
>>to be aware that the accuracy *cannot* be *guaranteed*
>>to better than "tens of milliseconds", overall, regardless
>>of the "accuracy" of the clock tick or the resolution of
>>anything...
>
> As a network geek who writes crude software to test problems, I wonder
> if we're not getting overly hung up on "exact".
[snip]
> If you really need more accuracy, then your best bet is to use libpcap
> (or winpcap for Windows, see http://www.tcpdump.org), as it provides
> packet timestamps that I've found to be accurate to fractions of
> milliseconds.

Tim, you're quite right of course.  I think many of us were just
sort of caught up in the fun of trying to show the OP how futile
his attempt at "exact and simultaneous" timing really was.

Someone really needed to come along and give some useful practical
advice instead, and you're that guy. :-)

-Peter