Troubles with CSV file

Vladimir Ignatov vignatov at colorpilot.com
Fri May 14 06:08:15 EDT 2004

Hello!

I have a big CSV file, which I must read and do some processing with it.
Unfortunately I can't figure out how to use standard *csv* module in my
situation. The problem is that some records look like:

""read this, man"", 1

which should be decoded back into the:

    "read this, man"
    1

... which is look pretty "natural" for me. Instead I got a:

    read this
      man""
   1

output. In other words, csv reader does not understand using of "" here.
Quick experiment show me that *csv* module (with default 'excel' dialect)
expects something like

     """read this, man""", 1

in my situation  - quotes actually must be trippled. I don't understand this
and can't figure out how to proceed with my CSV file. Maybe some
*alternative* CSV parsers can help?  Any suggestions are welcomed.

    Vladimir Ignatov