Non-programmer needs help with PyGTK-2.0.0

Mark Mitchell mark_mitwrong at wrongbellsouth.net
Fri May 28 12:16:36 EDT 2004

On 2004-05-28, Holger Türk <htx1 at gmx.de> wrote:

> Mark Mitchell wrote:
>> I have a program written in python that tells me it requires PyGTK, so I
>> DLed, ./configure, make, make install and the process seems to go ok.  Some
>> errors but the process finishes so I assumed they weren't fatal errors.
>
> It often complains about missing functions, or something.
> It compiles though, so I assume, it's built completely.
>

>> So now I attempt to run my python program and I get;
>> $ gccp.py
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "./gccp.py", line 9, in ?
>>     import pygtk
>> ImportError: No module named pygtk
>>
>> I'm running Slackware 9.1 with a 2.6.6 kernel, and I don't know what other
>> information would be helpful.
>
> Most probably, pygtk is installed in a directory where python
> cannot find it (i.e. the wrong directory). So setting PYTHONPATH
> may help. If not:
>
> Did you get python from a Slackware package?

No, I compiled from source.

> Where's the python standard library?
> in /usr/lib/python?.? or /usr/local/lib/python?.? ?

I have a /usr/lib/python2.3 that has a bunch of .py .pyo .pyc files, and
I also have a;
$ ls -l /usr/local/lib/python2.3/
total 1
drwxr-xr-x  3 root root 192 2004-05-26 23:56 site-packages/

> Where did it install pygtk?
> /usr/lib/python?.?/site-packages or /usr/local/lib/python?.?/site-packages ?

I'm not sure what exactly you're referring to here.  Looking at my install
log, I have a number of .py .pyc .pyo files in
usr/local/lib/python2.3/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/ and
usr/local/share/pygtk/2.0/

Is there a single filename or extension I should be looking for?

> What's your --prefix for ./configure ?

I didn't use one, just straight ./configure.

Mark

- --
Remove both wrongs to make the email address right.