Python find

Jeff Epler jepler at unpythonic.net
Tue May 25 16:12:03 EDT 2004

On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 12:36:51PM -0400, George Sakkis wrote:
> - How can one get the filesystem name from python (e.g. for testing
> 'find -fstype nfs') ?

You need to call "statfs" which I don't believe is available in Python
without an extension module.

I only know of the incomplete list of magic numbers to filesystem types
listed in "man statfs", not a real way to find the filesystem name.

Another option would getmntent() or (linux only) parsing /proc/mounts
parser.

> - Does os.readlink perform a call to os.stat or os.lstat (or the equivalent
> C system calls) ? If yes, I would like to rewrite it for the case the stat
> info for a file has already been cached.

No, at least on my system it uses the readlink syscall.  I don't see the
readlink information contained anywhere in the stat/lstat structure.

> - Before I write it from scratch, is there a converter for Unix permission
> strings (like "+go=rw") to numeric modes ?

Not that I recall seeing...

Jeff