Current drive and directory

Diez B. Roggisch deetsNOSPAM at web.de
Wed May 26 18:07:33 EDT 2004

EAS wrote:

> Howcome when I run this script:
>
> print """MS-DOS Prompt
> 'Q' to Quit"""
>
> import os
> command = ""
>
> while command.lower() != "q":
>         directory = os.getcwd()
>         print "\n", directory, "\b>",
>         command = raw_input("\b")
>         os.system(command)
>
> it doesn't update the directory when I use 'cd' for the command prompt?

I'm no windows user, but under unix a child process (which is created using
os.system) inherits the environment of its porent process as a copy - so
chtanges in the childs env don't affecth the parents one. Which is
probablpy a good idea, as ontherwise I'd be able to manipulate the calling
process in undesirable ways.

So I think you need some parsing to intercept a cd and change your current
working  dir using the os module.

Aren't there more shell like interactive pythons out there - ipython or so?
Look at them, they might be what you seem to be after here.

--
Regards,

Diez B. Roggisch