Newbie's rant's and question :) (long post)

SeeBelow at SeeBelow.Nut SeeBelow at SeeBelow.Nut
Thu May 20 22:04:37 EDT 2004

Hendy Teguh wrote:

> Hello,
>
> first, a little warning, may contain negative comments, this is truly
> my humble opinion, please consider it as a curious comments, not
> flaming or trolling (there're tendency i read on newsgroup (especially
> linux newsgroups), that newbie's opinion are often considered
> trolling, especially from diehard fans :P ). And  also since english
> is not my native language, please forgive my bad english.
>
> Ok, a little background. i learned some programming language before,
> all DOS (QuickBASIC, Pascal and Assembly). But when VB 'boomed', i
> stopped programming (i didn't really like the way of visual
> programming). Lately i began to use linux and see that python is
> widely use in almost everywhere, i started to learn python.
<snip>

GUI programming is not easy when you have never done it, but I can
advise you how to learn it.  First, use Tkinter instead of Wxpython, and
second go to
http://www.ferg.org/thinking_in_tkinter/index.html and download the file
thinking_in_tkinter.zip.  Unzip this file and run the thinking.py
program.  It will give you a series of lessons.  After those lessons you
will be able to understand the Tkinter documentation that you can find
on the web; there is quite a bit.  The URL above leads to several good
tutorials or references.

The reason the go with Tkinter instead of Wxpython is mainly that there
is more and better documentation available, which you need.  But also
Tkinter is easier to use.  If you are already an expert, then Wxpython
has more capabilities.

Mitchell Timin

--
"Many are stubborn in pursuit of the path they have chosen, few in
pursuit of the goal." - Friedrich Nietzsche

http://annevolve.sourceforge.net is what I'm into nowadays.
Humans may write to me at this address: zenguy at shaw dot ca