Generators: section 9.10 of the python tutorial

David Stockwell winexpert at hotmail.com
Thu May 13 14:06:26 EDT 2004

Hi,

Section 9.10 of the tutorial discusses the yield keyword.   When I tried
using it I get the following SyntaxError.

What does this error mean?  Does it mean we can't use yield in our code?  Is
yield a form of a 'return' ??

class9.py:71: Warning: 'yield' will become a reserved keyword in the future
  File "class9.py", line 71
    yield data[index]
             ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Here is the code from the tutorial: (i modifed the print statement)
def reverse(data):
        for index in range(len(data)-1, -1, -1):
            yield data[index]

for char in reverse('golf'):
        print char,

Thanks,