Python vs. VBScript vs. JavaScript in context of Windows ScriptingHost?

Michael Geary Mike at DeleteThis.Geary.com
Sat May 15 17:54:01 EDT 2004

John Benson wrote:
> Here's the question: If JavaScript is available to me within the
> Windows Scripting Host, can it do everything that VBScript can?

Yes, Andy's reply is right on target. JavaScript can access all of the same
WSH object model as VBScript. I think you'll find JavaScript to be a much
more satisfactory language than VBScript.

> My JavaScript documentation (the O'Reilly rhino book) is
> "client-side scripting"-centric, and as such accepts the
> limitations on file manipulation imposed by the client-side
> security scruples. Can anyone recommend a reference on
> JavaScript as an expedient replacement for Python within
> the context of the Windows Scripting Host?

Flanagan's book (the rhino book) will still be useful. All of Parts I and
III (Core JavaScript and Core JavaScript Reference) apply to JavaScript in
any environment: browser, WSH, Adobe Acrobat or Photoshop, you name it.

Microsoft has a very good Windows Script site with information on Script,
the WASH object model, etc. here:

http://www.msdn.microsoft.com/scripting

That plus Flanagan's book should be just about everything you need.

-Mike