perl to python

Oliver Fromme olli at haluter.fromme.com
Tue May 11 08:05:52 EDT 2004

Daniel 'Dang' Griffith <noemail at noemail4u.com> wrote:
 > [on sed]  One reason
 > to install it is that it's smaller than perl or python; another is
 > that it probably performs the task faster, since it isn't a general
 > purpose state machine;

FWIW, sed _is_ a state machine, although not really "general
purpose".  It is a programming language with variables, loops
and conditionals, and I believe it is turing-complete.  Most
of the time it is abused to perform simple search-and-replace
tasks, though.  ;-)

But seriously ...  I agree that the OP should really use sed
instead of Python in this particular case, for the reasons
that you've outlined.

Best regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, secnetix GmbH & Co KG, Oettingenstr. 2, 80538 Munich

"Python is an experiment in how much freedom programmers need.
Too much freedom and nobody can read another's code; too little
and expressiveness is endangered."    -- Guido van Rossum