book on wxPython?

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Fri May 14 23:32:00 EDT 2004

Can anybody recommend a good book on wxPython?  Are there any
books on wxPython?

I've been trying to learn wxPython and/or wax for a few weeks,
and I'm just not getting it.  [I wrote and shipped one small
wxPython app a couple years ago, and it was a cut/paste, trial
and error sort of exercise.]

wxWindows seems to be more low-level than the other GUI
toolkits I've used (Tk, GTK, and Trestle[1]), and there are all
sorts exposed details in wxWindows/wxPython that I find weird.

For example, I'm still confused about how to tell what the
"parent" of a widget should be.  When you put a StaticBox in a
Panel, the Panel is the parent of the StaticBox.  When you put
SomeOtherWidget in the StaticBox, why is the parent of
SomeOtherWidget the Panel and not the StaticBox?

And what about sizers?  They seem to be a sort of parallel,
phantom tree of widgets that's stuck on the side of the real
tree of widgets, while other GUI toolkits treat layout widgets
(grids, hboxes, vboxes, etc) as a "first-class" widgets that
reside in the same tree as the widgets that actually draw
stuff.

Anyway, I'd really love to find a good book on wxPython. I'm
still working through wxPython tutorials, and I've read through
some of the wxWindows ones (which are of limited value for
somebody steadfastly determined to remain clueless about C++).

I'm also still reading stuff on wiki.wxpython.org, but Wikis
always seem so fragmented...

[1] I still think the hbox/vbox/glue abstraction used by
    Trestle was one of the easiest to use.  Probably because
    I've been using TeX and LaTeX for 25 years.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  How do I get HOME?
                                  at