win32com and Excel

Bram Stolk bram at nospam.sara.nl
Wed May 12 10:24:38 EDT 2004

Hi there,

I am accessing Excel's functionality via COM, by using the
win32com extention.

This works somewhat:
If I run it from the 'IDLE' editor, I get frequent hangs or errors.
Sometimes the app hangs, and Excel then waits indefinately for a COM
operation completion.
Sometimes, I get errors about properties not being writable (which
realy are writable).
I then need to kill excel en python stuff, and try again. Sometimes
it works, sometimes I get in a corrupt state.
Running without the IDLE environment, I get much better results.

After checking the testMSOfficeEvents.py file, I deciced to add a
OnQuit() to my event handler. Strangely enough, OnQuit events are only
sent for MS-Word, and not MS-Excel.

Is this an ommission in win32com, or in MS Excel itself? I cant find a
mention of OnQuit in the Visual Basic script help files.

I would like to discern between the closing of a workbook, and the
closing of the entire excel app.

Thx,

  Bram Stolk

 Bram Stolk, VR Engineer.
 SARA Academic Computing Services Amsterdam, PO Box 94613, 1090 GP  AMSTERDAM
 email: bram at nospam.sara.nl   Phone +31-20-5923059  Fax +31-20-6683167

"Software is math. Math is not patentable."
OR
"Software is literature. Literature is not patentable." -- slashdot comment