Prothon should not borrow Python strings!

Mark Hahn mark at prothon.org
Tue May 25 00:43:12 EDT 2004

Roger Binns wrote:

> In addition to all the excellent notes from Paul, I would recommend
> you consult with someone familiar with the locale and encoding
> issues for Hebrew, Arabic and various oriental languages such
> as Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese and Tibetan.  Bonus points for
> Tamil :-)

I sure hope you are kidding.  If not you are scaring me away from doing
anything.

I want to do the best thing.  I want someone who knows what's best and that
I can trust to help out and tell me what to do.  I want to develop Prothon,
not become an expert on glyphs and international character coding.

> Since you are doing new language design, I also think there would
> be great value in forcing things so that you do not have
> strings embedded in the program, and they have to come from
> external resource files.  This also gives you the opportunity to
> deal with string interpolation issues and get them right.
> (It also means that "Hello, World" remains one line, but also
> requires an external file with the message, or some other
> mechanism).

Do you mean for the interpreter or some enabling tool for the Prothon
programs?  Doing this for the interpreter is on the to-do list.

Thanks for all the tips.  I'd like for you and Paul to help out with Prothon
in this area if you could.  At least let me bounce the plans off you two as
I go.