Real-time graphs

Jon Franz jfranz at neurokode.com
Wed May 12 20:00:51 EDT 2004

> Does anyone currently display real-time telemetry using
> Python? Can anyone provide any suggestions?

Yes, but with Jython.
My biggest client-project is a real-time monitoring system
in Jython with many graphs.
I previously used JFreeChart, but found it's API to be
rather cumbersome - I spent more of my development
time dealing with the API details and extra classes
then getting actual application logic done.  JFreeChart
is very powerful, and the abstraction only makes it
more so, but the # of lines it takes to create a simple
graph got in the way after awhile.

Recently, I've migrated the application to using JetChart
from Jinsight (www.jinsight.com) - a commercial alternative.
I've found JetChart to be easier to use; it also seems to use
less memory and cpu time than JFreeChart for my
purposes.

Your mileage may vary, just my 2 cents.

~Jon Franz
NeuroKode Labs, Makers of PDO