ANN: A new wiki for PyQt and PyKDE

Torsten Marek torsten.marek at student.uni-tuebingen.de
Fri May 7 13:16:13 EDT 2004

If have the pleasure to announce that we created a wiki for GUI
development with PyQt and PyKDE at
http://www.diotavelli.net/PyQtWiki
Everybody who searches for information about GUI creation with Python
will find links to tutorials, howtos and sample code. If you never heard
about PyKDE and/or PyQt, the time might be great, because PyKDE 3.11
with support for KDE 3.2.x is in its beta stage right now and will be
released soon.

Even more, we ask you for your contributions to the wiki. We are
searching for tutorials, documentation, (online) books, existing
applications, development tricks, sample code, GUI design articles etc.,
so please participate.

About PyQt:
PyQt contains the Python bindings to the Qt C++ GUI toolkit developed by
Trolltech. With it, you can easily create complex multi platform GUI
programs using RAD technologies. PyQt supports Linux and various
flavours of Unix, MacOS X and Windows under a variety of licenses
including the GPL and a commercial license. For licensing and prices,
please look at the homepage of PyQt.
With PyQt, you have all the benefits of the Qt toolkit, including the Qt
Designer, SQL support and native widget look on Windows and MacOS X
without the drawbacks of the C++ API like the moc and long compilation
times.
PyQt is written by Phil Thompson at Riverbank Computing, Ltd..

About PyKDE:
Based on PyQt, PyKDE provides Python interfaces to the KDE C++ API. It
allows tight integration of your application into the KDE desktop
environment and makes it indistinguishable from "native" C++ programs.
You can not only use the more advanced KDE widgets, but also the
state-of-the-art KDE technologies like KParts (the component model - why
not make your own web browser with KHTML), KIO and KFile (use webdav,
samba, fish and many more protocols like your filesystem), DCOP and the
printing libraries (KDEPrint), combined with the productivity of Python
and the well-known Qt tools.
PyKDE is currently maintained by Jim Bublitz, early versions were
written by Phil Thompson.