News Posting Script with Emailing Ability

William Park opengeometry at yahoo.ca
Thu May 20 01:20:26 EDT 2004

In <comp.lang.python> Jonathan M. Rose <jonrose at farious.com> wrote:
> I am looking for a script that I can sit on an HTML server (Linux,
> Apache, PHP/Perl/Python/Etc.) that will allow me to do the following things:
>
> 1) Post news articles that consists of (i) a title and (ii) a body.

Any newsreader that allows you to "postpone" posting should work here.
Just create the file (using Python, for example), and let it handle
posting.  I use Tin.  But, for posting, you can post using Telnet or
script equivalent.

> 2) Show the last X posts (or, better yet, just the last X titles) on a
> home page.

Write a script.

> 3) Show all posts on a "news" page.

Another script.

> 4) When a news article is posted, email the news article (with the title
> being the email subject and the news body being the email body) to a
> single address (which will be a Mailman email list address).

Use
    To: ...
in your posting, or mail the "file" directly which should same step as
posting.

> 5) Preferably not require the use of a db server.
> 6) Preferably allow changing or deleting news posts if errors were made
> in the wording or otherwise.

This is dependent on news server on individual site.  Some servers
honour delete and some don't (ie. Google).

> 7) I do not need nor want the ability for users to "reply" to the news
> articles.

If you post something, then it's in the public domain.  You can't
control whether others reply or follow up.  If you don't any followup,
then don't post.

> Does anyone know of anything like this?  If not, how about simple news
> posting tools that I could remake to include the emailing functionality?

Simple script would do.

--
William Park, Open Geometry Consulting, <opengeometry at yahoo.ca>
Linux solution/training/migration, Thin-client