What I don't like about wxPython

Frithiof Andreas Jensen frithiof.jensen at die_spammer_die.ericsson.com
Tue May 11 05:38:12 EDT 2004

"Paul Rubin" <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote in message
news:7xr7tu5un8.fsf at ruckus.brouhaha.com...

> If wxPython really depends on Windows, that's a huge obstacle for
> those wanting a portable system.

It depends on Win32 - on a Windows system. On f.ex. Linux it depends on
whatever X11 it is running under.

In practice, the user gets the same interface as all the other stuff on the
screen merely by running the aplication - which is what I would call
"portable" and it is probably what the user expects too. (The real miracle
is that this actually *works*, unlike in Java....)

> If it doesn't literally depend on
> Windows, but uses Windows-centric interfaces and approaches, that's
> still pretty annoying for non-Windows developers.

I haven't noticed anything different - but then again, I may be using just a
subset of the interface so I have not hit any of the edges yet.