Embed+extend+port

Vio vmilitaru at sympatico.ca
Sun May 9 02:10:36 EDT 2004

My story: I played with a little embedded python
piece of code (python interpreter embedded in wxWidgets app),
and used SWIG to extend this embedded py interpreter.
I did it in Linux, after some ironing all builds and runs as expected.

On a particularily lazy day, I pasted these same wrapper sources to
Win32 (cygnus). After fiddling with the Makefile to point in the right
directions, compilation seems to go ok (give or take a couple of
warnings). But then the linking step chokes with unfriendly messages
like "undefined reference to _PyExit, _Py_Initialize, etc.".

Could someone tell me what this mean? My guess is that my linker is not
pointed at the right Python library, but could someone confirm/rebute
this? I'm pointing the linker (on win32) to -L"/Python23/libs" where
lives "python23.lib", as presumably I need an equivalent to Linux's
"/usr/local/lib/python2.3/config/libpython2.3.a", so I'm wondering if
I'm pointing at the right place on the win32 side, or even if I'd need
to compile Python on win32 (currently using some precompiled distro on
win32, while I recompiled Py on Linux). In other words, I'd like to do
all my development on Linux, and not have to redo the work on win32
(besides some cut&paste). If I sound like a win32 newbie, well, I also
like like one:)

Cheers,
Vio

PS I just read on the list some comments that wxWidgets+Python mix is
kinda slow. Bummer.