map del efficiency python2.2 and 2.1

Daniel Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri May 14 18:51:22 EDT 2004

Tim Peters <tim.one at comcast.net> wrote:
: [John Hunter]
:> pymalloc to the rescue.  I rebuilt 2.2 --with-pymalloc and the
:> interminable delay was vanquished.

: Cool!  It will be even better in 2.3 (see other posts in this thread).

:> Now where do I go to get a deep understanding of my platform's (glibc
:> 2.2.2) implementation of free and why it behaves so badly?

: Study the source code, watch it in a debugger until your eyes bleed, and/or
: try to engage its current maintainer(s) in discussion.  Python grew its own
: pymalloc because platform mallocs are a diverse, finicky, and ever-moving
: target -- it would truly be a full-time job to keep up-to-date on the subtle
: quirks and disaster-modes of all of them, but now we only have to understand
: ours.  And that's only a half-time job <wink>.