Pyrex - The speed of Python with the clarity of C?

SeeBelow at SeeBelow.Nut SeeBelow at SeeBelow.Nut
Fri May 21 20:09:42 EDT 2004

Terry Reedy wrote:

> "Peter Hansen" <peter at engcorp.com> wrote in message
> news:juidnTjQubr1szPd4p2dnA at powergate.ca...
> > SeeBelow at SeeBelow.Nut wrote:
> > > Am I wrong about this?  Perhaps I don't understand how Pyrex works.
> >
> > Look at the primes.pyx example.  There's a link just below it
> > (above the Language Details section) showing the C code it is
> > compiled to (and which is in turn compiled to machine code).  True,
> > there are many calls to the Python/C interface APIs, but there is
> > also "pure" C code in there.
>
> In particular, lines 5-15 of the Python code, the 'guts' of the algorithm,
> are compiled to pure C with no interface calls.

But does this C code get compiled into machine code?  If so, What
compiler does that, and when?

Thanks,

"Many are stubborn in pursuit of the path they have chosen, few in
pursuit of the goal." - Friedrich Nietzsche

http://annevolve.sourceforge.net is what I'm into nowadays.
Humans may write to me at this address: zenguy at shaw dot ca