Serious trouble with https (Python 2.2.3 & 2.3.3), How to check for working ssl?

Phillip forget-it at no-spam.com
Wed May 19 15:12:17 EDT 2004

Some people tipped me off on some possibilities to tackle my https
problem. Those have definitely gotten me further in cornering the
problem. Thank you.

But:
No matter what I do to open a webconnection with httpS I always get
something in this Area:

urllib2.URLError: <urlopen error unknown url type: https>

With both versions of Python mentioned above.

My strong suspicion is that the socket stuff (dunno exact libname right
now...) is compiled without ssl support.

What I would like to know now is following:

1) What is the default setting for the compilation of the original
Python source? _With_or _without_ ssl support?

I just downloaded the sources onto Debian Linux and did the configure,
make, make install dance. No fumbling on my side done here.

Is there anybody I could ask who could know? Appart from bugging Guido
van Rossum over this that is. :-)

2) If this can't be said for shure _how_ can I find out if my version of
Python was compiled with ssl support? Apart from trying to connect via
https that is. Like I said: I've got a seriously growing suspicion that
it _is_ unsupported ssl due to compilation.

3) Where do I change the compile options (???), switches (???) - I don't
know how excactly this stuff is called - to set such stuff as what
things are compiled into the installation and which aren't. This is a
more general Linux/make/configure/gcc/whatnot sort of question, I know,
but I would be gratefull for any help.

Thank you.

Phillip