programming video manipulation

"?=Dmitry Borisov=?koi8-r?Q?" jbors at mail.ru
Tue May 25 15:33:00 EDT 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: Olivia Robinson

> I have been investigating Python as an alternative to using
> MAX/MSP/Jitter to program the collection of information from the
> sensors and the resulting video manipulation.  I have not been able to
> find information about manipulating video with Python, or collecting
> information from a microcontroller.  I have heard that I may need a
> library of commands already written in C or C++.  Does anyone have any
> information about using Python with microcontrollers or manipulating
> video?  Ideas?

Hi Olivia,
Not sure which interface your microcontrollers are using, if it is USB, then you might look at PyUSB which seems should work.
Otherwise you may need some standard C/C++ libs.
For video manupulation you may try pymedia( http://pymedia.sourceforge.org ).
At the time PyMedia supports avi( mpeg4, divx, xvid ), asf, mov, mpeg( encoding/decoding ). It will include more a/v formats in 2 months.
Hope this helps,
Dmitry/