Can I use dist-utils to install a sub-package?

Jorge Godoy godoy at ieee.org
Thu May 13 15:32:39 EDT 2004

On Qui 13 Mai 2004 15:21, Christopher Barker wrote:

> HI all,
>
> I'd like to be able to use distutils to install a package within the
> wxPython package:
>
> wx.lib.MyPackage
>
> I want to be able to do this so folks can upgrade a package of mine that
> is in the wxPython library, without changing it's location.
>
> In looking through the distutils docs, it looks like I cannot specify a
> sub-package location for my package, It will only put it in
> site-packages, not site-packages.wx.lib
>
> Is there a way to do this?

Chris,

Look at my previous post about distutils and RPM.

I'm doing something like that, only that I'm copying files because they are
not python scripts but images. And the other difference is that they are on
my own package...

You can try using the following construction:

setup(
      name="name",
      version="0.1",
(...)
      packages=['wx.lib.YourPackage'],
      package_dir = {'wx.lib.YourPackage': '.'},
(...)

Here you tell that your package has the 'wx.lib.YourPackage' name and is
located in the same directory as the setup script. You can put it somewhere
else.

I hope this helps.

Be seeing you,
--