Timer events

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at rogers.com
Tue May 18 06:08:25 EDT 2004

EAS wrote:

>But how do you display the time while it is going?

When asking a question, try to provide a little (okay, in this case, a
*lot*) more context.  Sure, there's a thread  somewhere back in the
bit-bucket that one could dredge out to figure out approximately what's
being asked, but you're starting your mail out with "but", which
suggests that you're discarding the rest of the thread's suggestions.

I, for instance, often display the time while it is going by hanging a
clock in my office, but that's not likely the solution you're looking
for.  Similarly, I can display time in my VR contexts by hooking up
OpenGLContext's timer object to a Text node to display the current time
in a manner that polls only at frame-refresh time.  Again, I could use
Tkinter's after method to update a clock on-screen.  Or I could use a
wxPython wx.Timer object, or a wx.lib.analogclock.AnalogClock for my
wxPython projects.  Or I could just format a datetime instance in a
web-site.

*Where* are you trying to display "the time"? (And what you do you mean
by "the time", I assume you don't want to display relativity-corrected
time, but there's no way to tell from the question)

Do you want to display elapsed time within your program or
calendar/clock time?

Do you really mean time-of-day, or date+time?

Do you want to display it as graphics or text?

What GUI system if you want to display as graphics?

What text environment if you want to display as text (console or web)?

What are you trying to do?

Asking the right question is most of the problem most of the time,
Mike

  Mike C. Fletcher
  Designer, VR Plumber, Coder
  http://members.rogers.com/mcfletch/