tkinter problem ...

SeeBelow at SeeBelow.Nut SeeBelow at SeeBelow.Nut
Sat May 15 17:39:34 EDT 2004

Adelein and Jeremy wrote:

> I just recently posted about this very same problem. In fact, I had
> dug a lot deeper, and even "fixed" the problem for my platform
> (RedHat 8.0/9.0), but I am left very unsatisfied. The fix I use is
> incredibly crufty, requiring an environment variable to be set so
> that the proper library path is used - every time I want to run
> python. I never received a response to my post, and I am tempteed to
> believe that there is a bug, but as I have not read *every* bit of
> documentation, config file notes, and source code, I am not going to
> go claiming so. Oh and by the way, IDLE still won't work correctly -
> my fix simply allows me to import Tkinter in the interpreter (not
> even in a script).
>
> I know there must be a better way, because I have never experienced
> any problems with tkinter/idle/python before v2.2, so I am ignorant
> of something, and I am even ignorant of what that something is. Or
> maybe it really is that there is a usability bug in that the
> installer assumes it knows where tcl and tk libraries are, instead of
> looking. But I just don't know enough to say so authoritatively, and
> your problem may be different than mine (as may be your platform).
>
> Strangely, I have seen on this list some saying that tk is dying off,
> and that we should use wxPython. But tk is usable by Tcl, Perl, Java,

<snip>

Tkinter is not dying off.  It certainly won't as long as it is the one
that is bundled with Python.  As for a replacement candidate, there have
been many complaints about WxPython in a recent thread.  Lots of Python
programmers use Tkinter regularly.  Someday, years from now, there may
be a replacement for it, but that is pure speculation.  At the moment
Tkinter is the only one that has a fair amount of documentation in
circulation, and even it is inadequate.  There is one book about
Tkinter, and none about any of the others.

Mitchell Timin

--
"Many are stubborn in pursuit of the path they have chosen, few in
pursuit of the goal." - Friedrich Nietzsche

http://annevolve.sourceforge.net is what I'm into nowadays.
Humans may write to me at this address: zenguy at shaw dot ca