Python job opening at GPO in Washington, DC

Nick Vargish nav+posts at bandersnatch.org
Sun May 9 22:48:34 EDT 2004

William Park <opengeometry at yahoo.ca> writes:

> Hmmm, you're trying to convince your boss to do with less budget.  So,
> he goes to his boss and says, "My IT budget was $10Million last year,
> but just give me $1Million this year.  I've got Python."  I don't think
> ANY government works this way. :-)

Or any IT department, not just government, in any large organization.

There's also fewer training courses to budget for, and fewer
vendor-sponsored conferences to attend. Sure, we can only accept gifts
under $30, but the competition is much fiercer since the stakes are so
much smaller.

Nonetheless, my boss is actually very interested in Python, because
he's interested in building sustainable systems. He's spent enough
time nursing along proprietary systems that have become both
entrenched and orphaned that he's sick and tired of it.

> What you should say is, "With Python (and Linux), we can outperform
> other departments with only %10 of our current resource.  Pretty soon,
> we can take over their duties and their budgets.  Our department will
> grow 5 folds in 2 years."

I've heard worse strategies. My immediate boss might be able to sell
my efforts to _his_ boss with that kind of approach.

Nick

--
#  sigmask  ||  0.2  ||  20030107  ||  public domain  ||  feed this to a python
print reduce(lambda x,y:x+chr(ord(y)-1),' Ojdl!Wbshjti!=obwAcboefstobudi/psh?')