What I don't like about wxPython

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Mon May 10 15:41:18 EDT 2004

On 2004-05-09, Carl Banks <imbosol at aerojockey.invalid> wrote:

>>> Just thought I'd play devil's advocate...
>>>
>>> I tried wxPython briefly, and it had some nice features.
>>>
>>> It has a huge list of dependencies.
>>
>> 1. Python.
>> 2. Windows.
>
> The Unix version requires at least Python, gtk, and wxlib.  Gtk is
> technically three libraries: gtk, gdk, and glib.  gdk depends on
> libpng, probably also libjpeg.  The latest version has all kinds of
> i18n dependencies.

Yup.  Trying to get wxPython installed can be a pretty
frustrating experience.

After spending a couple hours trying to get a 2.5 version of
wxPython installed on Mandrake 9.2, I finally gave up, wiped my
disk, and installed Mandrake 10.0. It still doesn't come with
wxPython 2.5, but it has enough of the required stuff that I
don't have to build 10-15 new packages to get there...

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  .. I have a
                                  at               VISION! It's a RANCID