Stackless python and microthreads

Michael Walter cm at leetspeak.org
Fri May 14 10:17:19 EDT 2004

Just wrote:
> In article <2gk1k2F3li0jU1 at uni-berlin.de>,
>  Michael Walter <cm at leetspeak.org> wrote:
>

>>Just wrote:

>>>Co-routines.
>>
>>Would you care to elaborate? Can you store the state of a coroutine and
>>resume it multiple times?
>

> You can resume a co-routine multiple times just like you can resume
> generators mutliple times, but that's something completely different
> from restarting a continuation multiple times.
Well, I think you would want to resume it multiple times based on a
given state (essentially like resuming a stored continuation).

> When you mentioned continuations for web programming, I assumed you
> meant their ability to turn flow control inside out (allowing to write
> event-based networking code in a more natural way). Co-routines are a
> much nicer abstraction for that than continuations.
Would you have some links/papers for me in regard to web programming and
coroutines? Some quick googling didn't bring anything up (but maybe I'm
just too tired).

What I meant was using continuations for "linear" code flow, such as
mentioned in
http://www.ai.mit.edu/~gregs/ll1-discuss-archive-html/msg02456.html,
described in http://www.double.co.nz/scheme/modal-web-server.html and
applied in Seaside, Borges, PLT Web Server etc.

Cheers,
Michael