UK Social research job to suit Excel programmer (not necessarily VBA)

has has.temp2 at virgin.net
Sat May 29 18:36:14 EDT 2004

"Duncan Smith" <buzzard at urubu.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message news:<c9a9k4$ffr$1 at news5.svr.pol.co.uk>...
> "Peter Hansen" <peter at engcorp.com> wrote in message
> news:40B8991F.4010207 at engcorp.com...
> > Duncan Smith wrote:
> >
> > > http://www.man.ac.uk/news/vacancies/research.html#581
> >
> > Sorry, but what's the connection to Python?
>
> There is (I am told) a significant amount of work automating Excel.
> Unfortunately this isn't clear from the job description (I didn't write it).
> I know from experience that this can be achieved admirably using Python (and
> Mark Hammond's extensions).

If it's any help, the Mac version of Excel can also be scripted via
Apple events. The most common language for this is AppleScript [no
comment:p], but Apple Event Manager bridges are also available for
Perl (see Mac::Glue at <http://search.cpan.org/~cnandor/>) and
MacPython (see appscript at
<http://freespace.virgin.net/hamish.sanderson/appscript.html>; not
quite finished but getting there).