Experience with vb2py?

MetalOne jcb at iteris.com
Tue May 4 18:26:51 EDT 2004

I tried to use vb2py about a year ago for a project of about 15,000
lines.  vb2py was not ready for that kind of a task.  I encountered
problem after problem.  The author of the package was extremely
helpful and glad to here about the problems.  He seemed willing to
almost immediately fix any problems that I had.  However, I was on a
very tight deadline and after a few days of experimenting with vb2py
it was clear that it was not going to work for me.

On another note, the VB code that I was working with was unbelievably
bad.  I found that I could reduce the amount of code from between 5
lines to 1 to about 30 lines to 1 depending upon the code sections.
Frequently this entailed completely different solutions to the
problems.  The author of the VB code had absolutely no idea how to
factor out any kind of redundancy in the code.

The vb2py translations did not produce particularly optimized Python
code for the VB code.  It also became clear that if I wanted the
project code in Python that rewriting the code by hand would be vastly
better than automated translations.  So much so that I could not
recommend the automatic translation even if it worked.

In the end, the project was cancelled.  Bad VB code was deemed better
than spending money to fix the code.