problem running wxPython demo.py

Peter Maas peter.maas at mplusr.de
Thu May 13 14:24:00 EDT 2004

Hornberger, Chris wrote:

 > And that, my friends, is why *nix is a long way from displacing
 > Windows on the desktop.

[...]

You forgot to add that Ken should replace libwx_gtk-2.4.so.0 by a
more recent version.

Concerning your sermon :) I'd like to add that these dependency
problems are not really an OS matter but a consequence of the
freedom that *ix users enjoy. There's no big brother telling
(and forcing) them where to go today. But to ease the burden of
freedom *ix should adopt some Windows features, notably the
role of interfaces, registry and installation. I'd like to
see in *ix systems:

- interfaces that streamline communication between processes
   and objects and free users and programmers from *having to*
   look into source code.

- a registry recording the state of the system and a well defined
   registry interface used by system and applications.

- well defined procedures to modify the state of the system
   (installation, deletion and configuration) which respect
   dependencies and don't violate consistency.

I would already be happy if this could be achieved for Linux
if not for all open source unixes.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen,

Peter Maas

Peter Maas, M+R Infosysteme, D-52070 Aachen, Hubert-Wienen-Str. 24
Tel +49-241-93878-0 Fax +49-241-93878-20 eMail peter.maas at mplusr.de