Documentation/Info on this sign

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Fri May 21 15:26:50 EDT 2004

Peter Otten wrote:

> Bart Nessux wrote:
>>Both functions produce the same results (33,000 files)... the problem:
>>the filesystem has twice as many files (66,000) than the actual sums of
>>these two counts when doing a virus scan or an adaware scan. To make
>>matters more confusing... the IBM Tivoli backup software that I use
>>confirms the Python counts when it does a backup. I don't know of a way
>>to see what the OS has to say what it thinks is correct. Any ideas on
>>how to do this?
>
> Maybe you have a symlink (how are they called in windows?) in the root
> folder. The number of files would vary depending on whether the software
> follows symlinks or not. That could explain the factor 2.

While the NTFS does support symbolic link, it doesn't even appear
to include a utility to create them, and most people, I suspect
don't even know they exist.  (I had to check with Google to even
find this out.)  There is a utility called "junction" which can
be had from http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/misc.shtml#junction
perhaps among other places.  Very unlikely the OP has used this...

-Peter