Python compilers?

SeeBelow at SeeBelow.Nut SeeBelow at SeeBelow.Nut
Tue May 18 11:30:09 EDT 2004

Leif K-Brooks wrote:

> Svein Ove Aas wrote:
> > Is anyone working on a python-to-native compiler?
> > I'd be interested in taking a look.
>
> What are you trying to achieve?
>
> If it's faster code execution, the primary slowdown with a very
> high-level language like Python is caused by high-level data structures
> (introspection, everything being an object, etc.), not the code itself.
> A native compiler would still have to use high-level data structures to
> work with all Python code, so the speed increase wouldn't be very much.

Yes, fast execution.  I have been using C.  In my applications there is
a population of "chromosomes" which are arrays of floats, about 2 to 5 k
in length.  Then there are subroutines which operate on a chromosome
using pointers.  For example, the "crossover" routine uses two pointers
to swap portions of two chromosomes.  My software sometimes runs for
hours, perform many millions of operations like these.  Clearly, speed
of execution is of dramatic importance.

A related problem is that it seems to be a big deal to call C routines
from Python.  I have not actually tried it, because when I read about
how its done I was not able to understand it.

Mitchell Timin

--
"Many are stubborn in pursuit of the path they have chosen, few in
pursuit of the goal." - Friedrich Nietzsche

http://annevolve.sourceforge.net is what I'm into nowadays.
Humans may write to me at this address: zenguy at shaw dot ca