Experience with vb2py?

asdf sdf asdf at asdf.com
Tue May 4 12:31:47 EDT 2004

Peter Maas wrote:
> asdf sdf wrote:
>
>  >
>  > i have a large VB project lying around that may have to be upgraded.  i
>  > would love to see it go to python.
>
> It's reasonable to ask for opinions but if you want to use it for
> a large project you should experiment with it anyway. Create a little
> hello world dialog and try to convert it. Populate it with more
> complicated controls, add database and network connections and try to
> convert it again. My bet is that vb2py won't do *all* of the work for
> you. I once tried to convert a medium sized project (25 kloc) from
> vb6 to vb.net and the migration assistant supplied by MS aborted after
> a 3 hours run. Python and VB are much more different so I assume that
> vb2py saves the low level typing work like converting loops, ifs and
> defs which is very valuable but the high level conversions that require
> to understand the code will probably be up to you.

certainly a detailed investigation would be required before making any
project committments.

realistically, if a bunch of people are not already having success
converting minor projects then it isn't ready for the big ones yet.
vb2py is attempting something difficult.  in my experience with
conversion programs, everytime you scale it up, you shake out some test
cases you never thought of.  i'm sure that applies here too.