Dynamic languages can be compiled [Was: Prothon gets Major Facelift in Vers 0.1.0 [Prothon]]

Jacek Generowicz jacek.generowicz at cern.ch
Tue May 25 11:25:55 EDT 2004

Duncan Booth <me at privacy.net> writes:

> Using Psyco speeds things up somewhat. On my machine this test in Python
> without Psyco takes 14.31s, adding a call to psyco.full() reduces this to
> 0.51s

Good call.  How daft of me not to include it.

Here's the table with the psyco result on the same machine as the rest.

Name             Interpreted        Compiled   With declarations  Psyco

LispWorks            66                1.0          1.6
Clisp                41                9.5          9.5
CMUCL          Got bored waiting       1.5          0.45
SBCL           Compiles everything     1.6          0.49
Python         Compiles everything    20                           0.64
gcc            No interactivity                     0.29

Could we now just all agree, once and for all, that compiling dynamic
languages to native binary really can give significant speedups?

(No, of course we can't ... oh well :-)