Newbe-books

asdf sdf asdf at asdf.com
Sun May 2 14:30:24 EDT 2004

> Ditto.  I learned from the tutorial and DejaNews.  I bought _Programming
> Python_, because I liked _Programming Perl_ so much, but I haven't had
> much use for it.  I'm evaluating _Learning Python_ as a training aid.
> It's not bad, so far.  I'll probably give it to our next hire.

I have both Learning Python and Programming Python.  I use PP very
little. I have maybe 15 bookmarks in LP but only two in PP, a much
larger book.  LP skips over threads as an advanced topic.  So I got that
discussion from PP.  But a couple of pages is all that it takes.

PP has more detail on the os and sys modules which was useful.  But the
online doc would certainly have covered it in a pinch.

LP is a good book with good value for its size.  PP just hasn't been a
'goto' reference.  Lutz's strategy is to make LP the basic teaching
book, with  PP the book for detailed exercises with more real-world
applications.

I haven't seen 2ed for LP, but I'm interested to see if it merits buying
if you already have 1ed.