terminological obscurity

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.com
Fri May 21 21:34:06 EDT 2004

On Sat, 22 May 2004 01:07:05 GMT, Arthur <ajsiegel at optonline.com>
wrote:

>On Fri, 21 May 2004 13:30:23 -0700, Shalabh Chaturvedi
><shalabh at cafepy.com> wrote:
>
>>I believe it is conceptual homogeneity and not type homogeneity that
>>characterises the difference between lists and tuples.
>
>"conceptual homogeneneity" defined  - as far as I see it - by
>reference to whether a rational Python programmer would group the
>objects together in a list.
>
>A perfect tautology.
>
>Which always seems to me to create more confusion, than clarification.

Further to what bothers me here:

Can't it be said, in helping to distinguish a Python list from the
standard collections in, say, Java and C++ - that among its most
important attributes is the ease with which one can work with a list
as a collection of objects of *heterogenous* type. "Type" here being
used in the sense that programmers generally use the word.

In exploring Python early on, I found this to be a core feature, and a
real attraction.

Am I missing something again?

Art