plot two data sets on gnuplot

Fernando Perez fperez528 at yahoo.com
Sat May 15 01:19:09 EDT 2004

John Hunter wrote:

>    >  I'm trying to write a script to pass a file of stock
>    > prices and volumes, and plot the results on a gnuplot
>    > graph which is non-overlapped graph.
>
>    >              Fig. 1 ------------ Fig. 2
>
>    >  Figure 1 is a graph of stock prices, and Figure 2 is a
>    > graph of stock volumes, I'm trying to implement it as
>    > following codes,
>
> I don't use gnuplot, but I just wanted to let you know that I recently
> added a finance module for matplotlib
> http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net that supports the kind of graph you
> are trying to make.  It's fairly minimalist now, but will grow in the
> near future.
>
> Here is a screenshot of a financial chart I made to show off some of
> the finance features
>
>   http://nitace.bsd.uchicago.edu:8080/files/share/finance_demo.png

I was going to tell you to look at 'multiplot' in gnuplot:

 The command `set multiplot` places `gnuplot` in the multiplot mode, in which
 several plots are placed on the same page, window, or screen.

But after seeing John's example, I honestly doubt it's worth the hassle with
Gnuplot.  It would take a ridiculous amount of work with gnuplot to make that
kind of plot (and I've been using gnuplot since 1991!).

Time for me to finally check out matplotlib...

Best,