Web programming ...

Heiko Wundram heikowu at ceosg.de
Thu May 6 10:38:29 EDT 2004

Am Mittwoch, 5. Mai 2004 17:49 schrieb Sarah Tanembaum:
> Is python good for creating Web application? I do like the OOness of
> Python, as a newbie, I'm trying to find out if Python has all its necessary
> modules/utilities for Web programming just as extensive as, say, PHP or
> Ruby(some say that Ruby is not ready for this sort of application and is
> not yet mature as Perl, Python, and PHP - is it true?).

If you're interested in CherryPy, you might as well have a look at CheesyPy
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/CheesyPy). Somewhat similar to CherryPy, but
different (and IMHO cleaner, but who am I to say? I developed it ;))
implementation of the OO-framework on top of the base Web-Server.

CheesyPy is in no way finished yet (not even documented well enough, but
browse the source luke!), but the lower-level code which is demonstrated in a
simple sample application at the root of the package works out of the box
already.

The main difference between CherryPy and CheesyPy is the fact that CheesyPy
doesn't use a precompiler, but rather __metaclass__es to pull in all classes
which are to be displayed and as thus doesn't feature embedding HTML-code in
a file, but rather (a so far incomplete) HTMLgen-like html generation,
features builtin session handling without use of cookies, and allows you to
define Plugins for web-pages which can be easily plugged into a class. These
plugins may define additional functionality (such as the included example
Config plugin, which reads a configuration file and offers access to it
through the class instance). The web-server supports Keep-Alive and verbose
error output on internal server errors.

HTH!

Heiko.