Should I learn Python?

M. Bitner moexu13 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 06:37:09 CET 2004

On 2 Nov 2004 13:28:22 -0800, Sam <sam at three60.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have been developing sites and cms's for the past few years using
> PHP and mysql. I've been interested in learning a new language and was
> considering Python. I have a pretty decent grasp of OOP concepts (i
> know, you're skeptical since I mentioned PHP). I don't have a formal
> programming background, just learning as I go.
>
> So, with that being said, here are some dumb questions.
>
> 1. What can I do with Python that I can't do with php?
>
> 2. Do you use both PHP and Python in conjunction with each other?
>
> 3. In what way could I utilize Python to compliment existing sites or
> apps built with PHP?
>
> Thanks for any help.
> --

Learning Python would be an excellent next step in your development.
Most programming textbooks recommend you learn at least one new
language a year. Python is a clean, well designed language and should
be straightforward (and fun) for you to learn.

But to answer your questions:
1.  PHP is a web scripting language and Python is a general purpose
scripting language. You can use PHP outside of a web environment but
that really isn't its strong point. You can use Python pretty much
anywhere.

2. No. Where I work we have one internal app written in PHP but are
moving towards developing exclusively in Python. We have thought about
potentially using PHP for the presentation layer and Python for the
business logic but haven't gotten that far yet.

3. Where do you need it? If PHP works for your site then Python may
not be a necessary addition.

HTH,
Melissa