seg fault when doing shelve.open

Riko Wichmann riko.wichmann at remove-this.desy.de
Tue Nov 23 07:37:10 EST 2004

Dear all,

I have Pyhthon 2.3.4 compiled from sources installed. I would like to
create a data base which is accessed by a key using the shelve module.

However, if I try to open a (non-exixting) file I get a segmantation fault:

 >>> import shelve
 >>> d = shelve.open("MyDB")
Segmentation fault

Stepping through the module which pdb tells me where is crahes:

 > /usr/local/lib/python2.3/bsddb/__init__.py(248)_checkflag()->5
-> return flags | db.DB_THREAD
(Pdb) s
 > /usr/local/lib/python2.3/bsddb/__init__.py(185)hashopen()
-> d = db.DB()
(Pdb) s
Segmentation fault

However, that doesn't tell me anything.

Do i need to compile python with a special configure flag so that
shelve'ing works properly? does it use some installed db package which
might be broken?

Any hint would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Cheers,

	Riko