why python is slower than java?

Carlos Ribeiro carribeiro at gmail.com
Sat Nov 6 07:21:14 EST 2004

On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 18:33:10 -0500, Hans Nowak <hans at zephyrfalcon.org> wrote:
> John Machin wrote:
>
> > Or is this a joke/troll?? I can't believe the "unimelb.edu.au"; surely
> > a forgery.
>
> Is it just me, or is the climate in c.l.py getting less friendly to
> newbies?  In any case,
> http://www.zoology.unimelb.edu.au/staff/nicholas.htm mentions Maurice
> Ling as an honor student.

Not only that, but Maurice Ling has started a long thread a few weeks
looking for a good research topic for his thesis (involving Java &
Python, btw). At some points he was bashed, but went ahead with the
discussion, that ended up touching in several interesting topics.

As for the climate in c.l.py, it's just interesting to note that the
climate *is* getting less friendly, and that it does coincide with
several old-timers moving away from the list. A few years ago I
remember that the likes of Tim Peters, effbot, Skip Montanaro, and
several others (sorry, I would really like to remember more names from
the top of my head) were frequent posters here. They've now moved to
other interests, or are focusing their efforts on the python-dev list.
It must not be a coincidence.

--
Carlos Ribeiro
Consultoria em Projetos