[web_framework] Basic Question regarding web framework

Francis Lavoie francisl at aei.ca
Sat Nov 27 12:14:57 EST 2004

Hello

I have some questions regarding webframework, I must say that I quite
lost and these questions are basicly to help me understand the way it work.

I have some knowledge with PHP and JSP.

I have looked for a python web framework to build a web site, a site
that I had start in php (and quite finish), but for some reason I wont
explain, I lost everything. I have started writting app with python 6
months ago and I fall in love with the language (if I can say that ;-)
Now I'm looking to rebuild that site again, but I would prefer to use
python instead. For learning purpose and because I chose python as my
language of choice to write apps, that way I would extend my knowledge
to other project.

Firstly, I have question regarding the way it work. I see that there's a
bunch of web framework, zope, webware, Skunkweb, etc...
But on the webware website I see that they want to port the framework to
web-SIG. I read both site but I'm still not sure how it work.
What are exactly all these framework? are they all different version of
framework that use python as synthax but work diffenrently, like if
there where different version of php only using similar synthax?
Or is it the Web-SIG that dictate the 'language' and all these framework
are what tomcat is for JSP?

 Secondly, I would like to receive any advice on which webframe is best.
I will build a website with an online store and it should be quite busy.
Is webware is a good choice?
Can I use ZODB outside ZOPE? and is this database is appropriate for
large amount of treatement or should I stick with another database?
Because I had very good feedback on how powerful and easy ZODB was and
it's object oriented data manipulation.

Thank you

Francis Lavoie