split large file by string/regex

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon Nov 22 08:53:02 EST 2004

Martin Dieringer wrote:

> I am trying to split a file by a fixed string.
> The file is too large to just read it into a string and split this.
> I could probably use a lexer but there maybe anything more simple?
> thanks
> m.

Depends on your definition of "simple", I suppose. The problem with
*not* using a lexer is that you'd have to examine the file in a sequence
of overlapping chunks to make sure that a regex could pick up all
matches. For me that would be more complex than using a lexer, given the
excellent range of modules such as SPARK and PLY, to mention but two.

regards
  Steve
--
http://www.holdenweb.com