class constructors: class vs. instance defaults

Dan Perl danperl at rogers.com
Wed Oct 6 19:21:00 EDT 2004

Yes, that's right!  I didn't try it in the context of a function definition
and thus I only checked that the dict({}) makes a different copy each time.
I realize now that what happens is that there is now still a 'd' object
(only in the context of the function) and it is shared by every instance.
The more I think about it, that's the way it's supposed to work, the default
value for the argument is calculated only once, when the function is
defined, no matter how that calculation is made.

Dan

"Michael Hoffman" <m.h.3.9.1.without.dots.at.cam.ac.uk at example.com> wrote in
message news:ck1trn$r46$1 at gemini.csx.cam.ac.uk...