__author__

Anna Martelli Ravenscroft anna at aleax.it
Fri Oct 1 17:41:40 CEST 2004

David Keeney wrote:
> I see this set (or similar) of variables in various modules I read.
> They are found near the top of each module file, outside of any class
> or function definitions.
>
> "
> __author__ = "Software Authors Name"
> __copyright__ = "Copyright (C) 2004 Author Name"
> __license__ = "Public Domain"
> __version__ = "1.0"
> "
>
> What is the function of this set of variables?  I assume there are
> software products that use these, (Python itself, perhaps), that
> expect to find certain variables explained.
>
> What are the expected variables, other than the ones listed above, and
> what software would I expect to use them?
>
> David

You may be seeing those in modules that were packaged up with distutils.
The setup.py expects certain metadata about the distribution,including
those you've listed above. A list of the expected values is available on
page 562 of _Python in a Nutshell_, or in _Distributing Python Modules_
section 3, accessible at thttp://docs.python.org/dist/dist.html

HTH,
Anna