Python + Java knowledge

Greg Ewing greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Wed Oct 20 22:48:10 EDT 2004

Josiah Carlson wrote:
> Most programming languages require in a natural language sense, a
> grammatical knowledge of the programming language in order to understand
> it.  Ergo, those that do well with grammar, generally would do well with
> learning new programming languages (API notwithstanding); as programming
> languages are a basic grammar with a handful of vocabulary words and
> punctuation thrown into the mix.

Also, learning a programming language is usually a MUCH
simpler affair than learning a natural language. The
grammars of natural languages tend to be rather haphazard
and require memorizing a large number of arbitrary rules.
Programming languages are usually a lot simpler and
more regular.

I consider myself well acquainted with quite a number of
programming languages, but despite studying French for
a few years at school, English remains the only natural
language in which I'm anywhere near fluent!

--
Greg Ewing, Computer Science Dept,
University of Canterbury,