python vs c# [gone OT]

Stephen Waterbury golux at comcast.net
Fri Oct 1 03:04:37 EDT 2004

Ah, the joys of OT ... :)

Steve Holden wrote:
> Well, terrific. Now I get to talk about one of my pet peeves. A friend
> just gave me a bumper sticker which, as a true (but hopefully liberal)
> pedant I had real trouble with. It reads "Some village in Texas is
> missing their idiot", and the reason for my perplexity was, while I feel
> the sentiment it expresses is admirable (though perhaps mistaken: I only
> wish George W Bush *were* as stupid as he manages to appear), I have to
> take issue with the grammar used to express it.
>
> This particular pickle is a disagreement of number: since there is only
> one village, the correct slogan should be "... is missing its idiot".

Although I agree with you, interpreting the noun "village" as a
collective noun (http://www.chompchomp.com/terms/collectivenoun.htm)
is a correct usage; therefore, it can be used with a plural verb.
Of course, that does kind of change the sense -- all those
people thinking wistfully of the idiot they lost ...  :)

(Incidentally, one of the more extreme cases I've seen was in
England, where I saw an "out-of-order" sign at the entrance to
the an Underground station that began "The London Transport
regret ...."   I tried to imagine all the individual personnel
of London Transport feeling regret that that particular station
was closed.  Gee, what a compassionate people!  ;)

Cheers,
Steve